Best Postpartum Pads
Witch hazel is used to decrease swelling and pain as well as stop the bleeding and heal any minor cuts or tears.
Homemade Postpartum Pads
What You’ll Need
- 20 overnight maxi pads
- 1 cup witch hazel
- 1 cup 100% aloe vera gel
- 20 drops lavender essential oil
- 2 oz. comfrey leaves
- 4 cups boiling water
- Boil 4 cups water to make comfrey tea.
- Pour water over comfrey in large bowl, cover and let steep 8 hours.
- Strain comfrey and reserve the tea.
- Mix the tea, witch hazel, aloe vera gel, and lavender in a medium bowl.
- Unwrap each pad, but leave it in it’s wrapper.
- Pour 2-4 tablespoons over each pad, concentrating on where your sore perineum will be.
- Fold pad up and re-wrap.
- Wrap in aluminum foil and place in a gallon zip bag in the freezer.
Tip: Before placing the frozen pad on, unwrap and let thaw for 5 minutes.
How great these pads were, I can’t tell you. The dry, scratchy and non-cold pads supplied by the hospital are so much more relaxing.
I made about 20 of them, and carried 7-10 in a freezer tote bag to the hospital. And that is what I’ve been using. Since I didn’t tear, the time I came home after 24 hours, I felt fine and didn’t need to use them anymore.
Only try them on your own, or make a couple for your mom-to-be.
Only let me know what you’re thinking!