10 Natural Ways to Get Rid of Chapped Lips
The skin of the lips is very much sensitive so in the winter season, if you feel discomfort due to the dryness and cracking of your lips, you should definitely have to care for that along with your face, hands and feet. Winter weather is dry and has loss of moisture in the air so all of your body parts get dry that is a kind of uncomfortable condition everyone goes through. Chapped lips make you look unattractive and cause lots of pain while smiling and talking. Harsh weather and dehydration are the common and first causes of cracked and chapped lips but on the other hand, there are a number of other reasons why your lips are getting dry, no matter what the weather is.
Causes of Chapped Lips
Some of the factors that affect the lips to make them chapped are:
- Vitamin deficiency
- Breathing through the mouth
- Excessive smoking
- Excessive licking of the lips
- Lake of care and protection of the lips
- Allergic substances
- Exposure to the sun
- Harsh weather
Symptoms of Chapped Lips
Symptoms that may be shown while after having chapped lips are:
- Tender or soreness when touched
To prevent your lips from getting chapped due to the mentioned above conditions, all you need to do is following the simple tips below:
- Keep your body hydrated
- Keep your skin well moisturized all the time
- Avoid exposure to the sun and extreme temperatures
- Eat a proper diet
- Make sure not to use local products on your lips
- Breathe through the nose
If the condition becomes not treatable with the simple tips and get worse even after constant care, you should immediately consult a good dermatologist. Persistent chapped lips may be a sign of possible medical issue.
Thousands of products are available in the market for getting rid of chapped lips but these products contain lots of side effects and reactions so try not to buy expensive products and stop spending money on these. You should try natural home remedies that have been made from the natural ingredients present at your home. Some of the simple and effective remedies are given below:
Sugar helps in exfoliating and removes the dead skin cells of your chapped lips thus make it soft and smooth.
- Make a paste from 2 tsp of sugar with 1 tsp of honey.
- Apply this paste on your lips and allow it to set thoroughly.
- Use your ring finger to gently rub the mixture around your lips so as to loosen up the dead skin cells.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Apply a little honey as a lip balm to lock in the moisture.
Honey is famous for doing the proper care of chapped lips. It has moisturizing properties and antibacterial properties to heal the problem within just few times of application.
- Apply pure organic honey directly on your chapped lips for several times a day.
- You can also prepare a mixture from honey and glycerin in the evening. Apply this paste before going to bed to regain the softness of your lips.
3. Rose Petals
Rose petals also help in treating the cracked and chapped lips and keep your lips moisturized for the long time. You can enhance the natural color of your lips by using these beautiful rose petals.
- Wash a handful of rose petals in the water.
- Soak the rose petals in milk for few hours.
- You can use glycerin which is a nondairy alternative of milk.
- Mash the rose petals in a thick paste.
- Apply this paste on your dry lips two to three times a day and also at the night before sleeping.
4. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer that can readily help in balancing the pH level of your lips and make it smooth enough to touch.
- Simply apply pure organic coconut oil several times a day on your lips to keep them moisturized.
- You can also replace the coconut oil with olive oil as per your choice.
5. Castor Oil
Castor oil is also an effective and easy remedy as it is known to be as hydrating agent which is wonderful for getting rid of chapped lips.
- Apply castor oil directly on your lips several times a day.
- You can make a lip balm at your home by mixing 1 tsp of castor oil and glycerin with 3 drops of fresh lemon juice. Apply this mixture on your lips before going to bed. In the morning, wash it off with lukewarm water. Repeat the remedy until your lips are properly healed.
6. Milk Cream
Milk cream is also a good moisturizer for your lips because it is rich in fat content.
- Apply a little amount of fresh cream milk on your lips and leave it for about 10 minutes.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the remedy daily to help your lips heal faster.
7. Aloe Vera Gel
- Aloe vera gel contains healing properties which is extremely popular in the treatment history of the lips. Aloe vera will soothe out the pain due to the cracking and flaking and can heal your chapped lips within just few days.
Cucumber is another natural solution of saying good bye to chapped lips.
- Cut a cucumber in slices and rub a small slice of it across your dry lips in a gentle manner so that the juice squeeze out from the cucumber can be absorbed properly on your lips.
- Leave it for 20 minutes.
- Repeat the remedy several times a day to heal the chapped lips faster.
9. Petroleum Jelly
You can get petroleum daily from any drug store and is the best way to treat the chapped lips.
- Apply petroleum jelly on your dry lips several times a day to keep them well moisturized. Make sure that before getting sleep, you apply petroleum jelly so that your lips can be well nourished overnight.
- Alternatively, apply a light coat of honey on your lips then let it dry, then apply a light coat of petroleum jelly for extra healing and recovery.
Water retention is the common cause of dehydration in your lips. It is important to drink plenty of water all day to keep your overall body hydrated including your lips. Water also helps in flushing out the toxins from your body.
- Start your day by drinking at least 2 glasses of water and follow the general rule of drinking eight glasses per day.
- Another thing you can do is drink a glass of warm water before bed to stay hydrated throughout the day.